- Released around the 4th of July the Viaje TNT makes its seasonal summer debut once again.The Viaje TNT first hit the scene in 2010 and was originally a Nicaraguan puro that was produced in Hounduras and released annually. After a year hiatus in 2014, the TNT returned in 2015 with production moving to the PDR […]Read More »
- After a two year hiatus, former President and Chief Executive Officer of Berger & Argenti, Michael Argenti has announced the collaboration between himself and cigar impresario, Abdel Fernandez of world famous AJ Fernandez Cigars on the creation of a new and exciting cigar line called LA GRAN LLAVE. Argenti has been in the cigar business for […]Read More »
- From Sumatra Samurai: Cigar Dojo And that’s it folks, in a matter of only 1 hour and 5 minutes, the Whiskey Rebellion sold all 500 boxes (with the exception of a select few used for Famous Smoke’s Whiskey Rebellion event). Because of high demand, orders were limited to 3 boxes per person, with notifications being […]Read More »
- DAILY EVENTS Happy to receive my shipment from Two Guys Smoke Shop upon returning from Vegas, will be returning in 2 weeks for #IPCPR16. Letting these sit for a week before posting a full review. Brief history on the Firecracker On May 19, 2007, Two Guys Smoke Shop owner David Garofalo asked Jose “Don” Pepin […]Read More »
- James Brown, creator of Black Label Trading Company (BLTC) and partner at Fabrica Oveja Negra, is launching Black Works Studio as a showcase for the boutique cigar factory in Esteli, Nicaragua. “Part of the motivation for opening our own factory, Fabrica Oveja Negra, was to experiment and develop unique blends highlighting Nicaraguan tobacco. Black Works […]Read More »
- Saturday, July 23, 2016 — Estelí, Nicaragua – JOYA DE NICARAGUA REBRANDS ITS ACCLAIMED AND UNCONVENTIONAL CABINETTA. Joya de Nicaragua Cabinetta Serie is a crowd favorite around the globe. Its unconventional two toned wrappers or Doble Capa, makes it very attractive to the eye. However, its creamy smoke with peppery notes and mild to medium strength is […]Read More »
- Saturday, July 23, 2016 — Miami, FL – Caldwell Cigar Co. and Drew Estate announced today the release of the collaborative All Out Kings brand. The new cigar will be displayed in Caldwell Cigar Co.’s booth at the IPCPR Convention and Tradeshow held July 24 – 28, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The collaborative project […]Read More »
- Friday, July 22, 2016 — Miami, FL – Today Drew Estate announced the national release of Deadwood Tobacco Co.’s Sweet Jane, Fat Bottom Betty, and Crazy Alice. The brand will be displayed in Drew Estate’s booth (Booth #2403) at the IPCPR Convention and Tradeshow, held July 24 – 28, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Deadwood’s […]Read More »
Released around the 4th of July the Viaje TNT makes its seasonal summer debut once again.The Viaje TNT first hit the scene in 2010 and was originally a Nicaraguan puro that was produced in Hounduras and released annually. After a year hiatus in 2014, the TNT returned in 2015 with production moving to the PDR cigar factory in the Dominican Republic. The original release of the TNT had a Nicaraguan Corojo 99 wrapper, the cigar underwent a blend change that now features a Connecticut broadleaf wrapper, Andre Farkas president of Viaje told Cigar Smoke that the “Binder and fillers are Nicaraguan”. The Viaje TNT is available in a 6.25 x 54 Toro and has a long fuse that makes it resemble a stick of dynamite.
- TNT equivalent is a convention for expressing the energy released in an explosion. The “ton of TNT” is a unit of energy defined by that convention to be 4.184 gigajoules, which is the approximate energy released in the detonation of a metric ton (1,000 kilograms or one megagram) of TNT. BOOM!!
Almost black in appearance, the Connecticut broadleaf wrapper is oozing with oil. The rustic look of the TNT has notable seam vein and tooth with a closed foot and a rounded cap with a long fuse. The cigar had a few soft spots, but looked rugged and daunting. The one and only band that’s sits on the vitola is matte white with the initials “TNT” in military type font that’s black in color. In back of the band in the same military type font and also in black reads “VIAJE DEMOLITION COMPANY”. The cigar looks like something Colonel John “Hannibal” Smith from the A-TEAM would have in his mouth with his signature quote “I love it when a plan comes together”. Pre-Light aroma produced sweet cedar and slight barnyard. No cold draw as the covered foot produced too much resistance.
- FIRST LIGHT
Upon first light there was slight resistance while the wrapper on the foot burned off, the cigar quickly opened up to blasts of red pepper flakes right to the back of the throat. Flavors of bitter dark chocolate, espresso with charred cedar were quite prominent. The retro at first light brought a sting to the nose and squinting of the eyes as the strong pepper flavor was just too much.
- CRUISE CONTROL BURN
After cruise control burn the cayenne/red pepper experienced has mellowed into straight black pepper. Creamy notes of coffee and dark chocolate are blending in with flavors of sweet woody cedar, leather and toffee. The retro has mellowed out considerably to pepper notes evolving into a powdered coco or mocha flavor on the top of the palate.
- FINAL THIRD
The cigar for lack of a better term has a chewy thickness about it, the pepper is still present but at a mild level. Coffee, dark chocolate and sweet cedar are producing creamy notes of mocha. The vitola burned slightly hotter towards the final duration but produced consistent flavors throughout the smoking duration. The retro in the final third was still at high levels producing white pepper with warm chocolate flavors on the palate.
Construction of the Viaje TNT was extremely good, even though the cigar looked roughly put together. Slight resistance at first light quickly opened up once the wrapper on the foot burned off, the draw posed no problems after that and produced a ton of thick white dense smoke. The burn line was straight and produced a whitish fine textured ash that held tight past the inch point but effortlessly tapped off. The Strength of the Viaje TNT was in the FULL BODIED range that produced a balance of full flavors. WARNING a full meal is recommended before you light this stick of dynamite, while smoking the second example I did so before dinner and payed the price for my novice mistake. If you enjoy a FULL BODIED, FULL FLAVORED cigar this highly explosive stick of dynamite is right up your alley.
The retro at first light was nothing short of impossible, pepper notes were too intense, However at cruise control the pepper through the nose was experienced with warm chocolate flavors right on the top of the palate for the rest of the duration and added to the long and spicy finish.
- RED/BLACK PEPPER
- DARK BITTER CHOCOLATE
- SWEET CEDAR
Cigars purchased from: Boiling Springs Wine & Cigar (5 pack)
Cigars smoked for review: 3
Cigar Smoke Rate: 89
Size: 6.25 x 54 (Toro)
Wrapper: Connecticut broadleaf